BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 6, 2010

Is it really that much better?

So an interesting thing happened to me this morning. I got onto Facebook and an old FHE sister asked me if it was bad that sometimes she wished she could go back to how she was before. I didn't have the slightest idea what she was talking about so upon further questioning she told me that she used to be a lot different and that she sees pictures of her old friends and she wishes she hadn't changed because she missed it.

So it got me thinking. 5 or 6 years ago I was a radically different person than I am today. I was finishing up high school. I had offers to go play college soccer at different places all over the country. I had scholastic scholarships to all 4 universities I had applied to. I had been dating the same girl for about 3 years and I was happy. I had it all figured out. I knew what I wanted to do and things were going my way.
I made a choice. I decided to go to BYU for school where the girlfriend was at. I had a scholarship there and a good part-time job so I was making good money while going to school. I went to school there for 6 months and then had a couple months at home before I left to serve a mission. I have to admit that my life was good. I was happy.
So when my friend brought up today that she sometimes wished that she could go back it made me realize that I wish I could go back. Everything I had then I no longer have. I still know what I want to do in life but whatever plans I try to make or whatever I try to work for just falls apart and doesn't happen. I dated Marcy for over 8 months and then she dumped me for another guy. (That's a story for a different day)
So I guess what I'm really wondering is if it is really that much better to be a good boy and do all the things I should only to be miserable now that I do? As of right now, I'm leaning towards no.

2 comments:

ashley said...

yes i am reading all of your blog. i had amazing scholar ship opportunities when i graduated.. but i put them off to be at a school where i could transfer to be with my ex husband...

Wesley Eff said...

Yeah I am kinda wish I would have taken one to go play soccer. But such is life. I'm sorry though, that sucks in your case. And I read your entire blog yesterday :)